In the spirit of Late Night with David Letterman, here is my Top 10 List for Job Seekers.
10) Get out of the house. Hey, you can’t effectively conduct a job search from your home office. Get away from the computer and go talk to somebody. Now! (Do that often enough and you won’t need to read the rest of this top 10 list.)
9) Remember, networking is NOT about YOU! Shine your shoes. Even if you are just running to the 7-11 for a Slurpee, you want to dress like a professional. You never know who you are going to meet when you are out.
7) Have a great elevator pitch.
6) Have plenty of Business Cards / Contact Cards on hand.
5) Be memorable, and I mean this in a good way! One guy always wears a red sweater to these events. Then, when he contacts someone later he says, I’m the guy in the red sweater you met last week at the networking meeting. He’s pretty hard to forget!
4) Check your teeth before you leave the house. You don’t want some yucky-green thing stuck between your teeth! Bad first impression! (see #8)
3) Spend at least 90% of your time at a networking event listening and asking questions. Remember #9, networking is NOT about YOU.
2) Go where the action is. Lots of job seekers hang out in groups with other job seekers. While thats a good place to start and practice your elevator pitch, sooner or later you need to show up someplace where people who would hire you hang out.
and the number 1 tip for job seekers is . . . .
1) Have fun! My good friend Cleon Cox III has a motto which goes like this:, Have fun, meet people, and learn something. I agree!
Also, use career coaching online platform!